EDWARDS | Dozens of residents of a community in Eagle County have been allowed to return to their homes after being evacuated the night before because of a gas leak.
The Vail Daily reports that a construction worker ruptured a natural gas line at about 5 p.m. Thursday at Edwards, which is located along Interstate 70 west of Vail.
Tracy LeClair of the Eagle River Fire Protection District said the decision was made, with the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office, to evacuate residents of a nearby subdivision around 8:30 p.m.
LeClair estimated there were about 55 structures in the subdivision.
A shelter in town was set up for displaced residents overnight.
Authorities allowed them to return to their homes about 7 a.m. Friday.