Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. POMPEO MEETS SAUDI KING OVER MISSING WRITER
Turkish officials fear Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Istanbul consulate and reports in the U.S. media suggest the kingdom may acknowledge the journalist was slain there.
2. PAUL ALLEN A TRUE RENAISSANCE MAN
From personal computers, conservation, pro football, rock n’ roll and rocket ships, the late Microsoft co-founder used his vast wealth to pursue his passion and ambition.
3. IN FLORIDA, FAMILIES SEEK THE HURRICANE MISSING
As the category 4 storm closed in, authorities say many residents of Mexico Beach didn’t evacuate and that 46 people are unaccounted for.
4. LA MAYOR USES CELEBS TO IMPRESS DEMOCRATIC LEADERS
Eric Garcetti played host to 10 state-party chairmen with a star-studded fundraiser featuring Jimmy Kimmel and DJ Khaled before cutting $100,000 checks for each of them.
5. CHINA DEFENDS MASS INTERNMENT OF MUSLIMS
Officials say a system of training centers save ethnic minority Muslims from religious extremism by teaching them to speak Mandarin and accept modern science.
6. EMAILS: CALIFORNIA AGENCY HAS COZY TIES TO GAS TAX BACKERS
Emails obtained by the AP show the state’s transportation agency coordinated frequently with the public affairs firm working to block the repeal of the state gas tax hike.
7. ELIZABETH WARREN CALLS TRUMP COMMENTS ‘CREEPY’
The Massachusetts Democrat says the president was trying to belittle her when he talked about administering a DNA test to prove her Native American heritage.
8. WHERE HARRY’S IS BRANCHING OUT TO
Armed with millions of dollars in new funding, the direct-to-consumer razor company is launching a new shaving and body-care brand for women called Flamingo.
9. BRITISH ROYALS RECEIVE BABY GIFTS
Prince Harry and the former Meghan Markle thrill thousands of fans in Sydney in their first public appearance since announcing the Duchess of Sussex was pregnant.
10. RODGERS LEADS PACKERS TO COMEBACK WIN
The Green Bay quarterback engineered a last-minute, 81-yard drive that led to a game-winning field goal as time expired in the Packers’ 33-30 win over the 49ers.