Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP BACKS OFF PUSH FOR RAISING ASSAULT RIFLE PURCHASE AGE
The administration did pledge to help states pay for firearms training for teachers and reiterate its call to improve the background check and mental health systems.
2. HELICOPTER IN NEW YORK CITY CRASH HAD SPOTTY RECORD
The Eurocopter AS350 that plunged into the East River killing five is owned by Liberty Helicopters, which was involved in a fatal crash over the Hudson River in 2009.
3. DOZENS KILLED IN NEPAL PLANE CRASH
The passenger plane, a twin-propeller Bombardier Dash 8 flying from Bangladesh, swerved repeatedly before it crashed near the runway, killing at least 38 people.
4. DESPITE RHETORIC, LITTLE CHANGE ON US-MEXICO BORDER
The daily commute from Mexico to California for thousands of low-paid farm workers hasn’t changed since Trump became president.
5. NORTH KOREA STILL MUM ON TRUMP SUMMIT
Pyongyang has been surprisingly quiet on the slew of momentous, and possibly even historic, events that have come in quick succession over the past few months.
6. WHAT HAS SHATTERED HOPES FOR CHINA’S LIBERALIZATION
Once thought to be the next great reformer, Xi Jinping is now poised to rule indefinitely after Beijing’s rubber-stamp legislature voted to eliminate presidential term limits.
7. WHO CAN RELATE TO WHAT’S HAPPENING IN PARKLAND
Participants of the 1968 L.A. school walkouts that sparked Mexican-American youth activism say they see similarities with Florida student activists seeking to change gun laws.
8. BARBERSHOP STUDY TRIMMED BLACK MEN’S HAIR — AND BLOOD PRESSURE
Black men reduced hypertension through a novel project that shows the power of familiar faces and trusted places to improve health.
9. ‘HE’S BEEN SUPER DEHYDRATED’
That’s what Faith Hill says about her husband, country music star Tim McGraw, who collapsed on stage during a performance in Ireland but is expected to recover.
10. FOR COLLEGE BASKETBALL, A REPRIEVE
March Madness will provide a three-week break from the troubling headlines that have consumed the sport this season.