Man wanted in fatal Aurora double shooting nabbed in Las Vegas

1885

AURORA | A man accused of killing one man and wounding another earlier this month in a shooting near East Mississippi Avenue and South Sable Boulevard has been arrested in Las Vegas.

Joseph Lugo, mug shot courtesy Aurora police.

Joseph Goudy Lugo, 39, was arrested Wednesday and is facing extradition to Aurora, said Aurora police spokesman Officer Kenneth Forrest. It wasn’t clear Thursday how soon Lugo could be sent back to Colorado to face charges.

Lugo had been wanted since March 21 on a first-degree murder charge for the shooting that killed Potros Mabany, 21, and wounded another man.

In the hours after the March 20 shooting, police said two men were shot outside an apartment at 1097 E. Evanston Way and a wounded man walked from there to a nearby 7-Eleven store at Mississippi and Sable.

Officers found a second man wounded outside the apartments, and both men were rushed to a local hospital. The man who made it to the 7-Eleven was hospitalized but has since been released, police said. Mabany was pronounced dead at the hospital.

According to state records, Lugo, a native of New York, has a lengthy arrest record in Colorado. He has multiple weapons arrests — including for being a felon in possession of a weapon and for having a defaced firearm — as well as rape, assault, menacing and kidnapping charges on his record.

Lugo’s most recent arrest came in February 2017 when Aurora police arrested him on a warrant for assault and domestic violence.